Friday, July 11, 2014

Welcome!

Welcome to my new blog, Pumpkin Craft!

With all of the interest in my Etsy shop by the same name, Pumpkin Craft, I thought it was high time to start a blog about all my crafting and artistic adventures.  My Etsy shop gets its name from the childhood nickname my mother gave me.  She always called me her Pumpkin.  I'm an October baby, obsessed with pumpkins, Halloween, and autumn in general, so that nickname fits the bill!

My mother passed unexpectedly when I was thirty...she was still calling me her pumpkin, even then...and I inherited her fabric stash and sewing machines.  Previously?  Terrified of learning how to sew.  Fear of making a mistake, fear of doing something wrong....fear of fear, honestly.

Losing my mother changed my perspective on all of that.  What is the worst thing that could happen to me?  Ripping out stitches and starting all over again?  Learning from my mistakes?  Imagine that!  Sewing has been a huge growth experience for me.  It's given me a creative outlet that as a stay at home mother I had been struggling to find.  I have a BFA in painting, but oil paints and toddlers?  They don't mix.

Sewing was so easy to fit into our lifestyle, so sewing it was.  Determined to learn, my initial efforts were just that...initial efforts.  I am quite proud though of how far I have come, and how much more I can create.

Here are some of my favorite shop items right now that I have had SO much fun making.


I'm a little in love with this Disney Minnie Mouse inspired tote bag.  You can find it here if you fall in love as well. ;)

And just recently, I made a Disney Pop Century inspired tote that is so bright and cheerful, I cannot help but smile when I look at it.



I love making these bags and pushing my creative limits to come up with ideas that are not your standard printed character fabric, but fabrics that when you bring them together, evoke a specific theme or memory.  In that way, sewing is a lot like painting.  Color choice, fabric selection, bring it all together...much like putting the binding on a quilt is like framing a painting.

All these artistic and creative endeavors are inextricably linked in my brain, perhaps in yours as well. It's these endeavors that I'll enjoy sharing with you here.


No comments:

Post a Comment