Sunday, July 13, 2014

Run, Kat, run!

After completing a 5K this weekend, I got to thinking about the plethora of race shirts I have.  I'm a graphic tee girl.  I swear, I keep trying to grow up and wear real people clothes but it just does not happen.  Okay, it happens sometimes.  But most of the time?  Give me a graphic tee with a cute character, logo, ironic saying, or a combination of all three and I'm happy as a clam.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the boxy cut of unisex tees that you usually receive at races.  It's not my style to have a super high neckline that almost makes me feel like I'm choking.  Ditto that feeling re: turtlenecks.  Soooo not for me.

The 5K I just completed was just for women, therefore the shirts were a more flattering cut.  Now I've been upcyling a whole bunch of graphic tees lately, some that I had, some that were thrifted.  I'd debated using my race tees to make a tee shirt quilt, but I just wasn't feeling it, and...I love graphic tees.  I love NEW graphic tees, but I love not spending a lot of money on them.  So if I already own them and can modify them...even better!  Upcycling at its best.  Cost = free.  Sold.

Here's the tee for my first 5K ever, which was at Disney's Animal Kingdom with my friend Nicole, her brother Kyle, and his then fiance now wife Sarah.  We had a BLAST, so the memories that go with this shirt are wonderful and something that make me smile just looking at it.  I also did this 5K in memory of my mother, since I was determined to prove I could do something I previously thought I never could (run a race).



I've taken inspiration from this blog tutorial right here, and modified it to suit my own needs.  Since both shirts I worked on were larges, I didn't want to do the drawstring neckline, as it would potentially make the shirt too tight and defeat the purpose of getting rid of the high neckline.

I can't really describe enough how much I love this shirt.  Put together Disney and pumpkins, and I'm pretty much in heaven.  So it's thrilling to me that I can wear it again, it's comfortable, and cute!

The second shirt is from my second 5K at our local Y.  I modified it in the same way as the previous tee, creating scalloped edges on the sleeves and bottom, and a new scoop neckline.  I think it looks pretty snazzy.


So there you have it!  My fun upcyle fashions for this weekend.  I absolutely love taking something old and making it into something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment